Smart meters are great! But not all suppliers can connect to them and if you're switching frequently to make sure you're always on the best deal, it can feel like a lot of effort to reconnect your smart meter to a new supplier every time you switch. Sometimes, by the time they've managed to connect you, your ready to switch to another deal!
In this article:
What are the benefits of the Smart Plan?
Our solution is to connect directly to your meter so that regardless of who your supplier is, we can read and then submit your meter readings. Connecting your smart meter to us means that:
- You can get the smart meter experience with every supplier out there!
- Your bills will be more accurate
- Your savings estimates from Switchd will also be more accurate
- No more submitting manual readings
How do I activate the Smart Plan?
In 3 simple steps!
- See if you're eligible - Our system can detect whether or not we can connect to your smart meter (only late 1st generation, SMETS 1, and 2nd generation, SMETS 2, meters). If we can connect, you will have received an email offering this service. You can also go to your dashboard - if there's a large blue banner at the top of your dashboard inviting you to get our Smart Plan, simply follow the links to get started :)
- Following the instructions will take you to our partner page where you will need to enter the MAC address of your in home display (this is usually visible on the back of the device). This allows us to make sure that we're pulling the right information! We're working on a way to make this process easier and more automatic so don't worry too much if this doesn't work for you first time.
- Confirm and you're done! (if you're a brand new customer, you may need to submit one reading manually to allow us to confirm that the data connection is working)
What if it doesn't work for me?
Unfortunately, this connection method doesn't work for all meters; at the time of writing, about 70% of meters can be connected with this method. If you're in the minority of people for whom this doesn't work, fear not! We'll be rolling out an even easier and more automatic way of connecting to meters in the near future and we'll let you know as soon as this is ready.
Why is there a small charge for this?
For the energy suppliers that can connect to smart meters, they roll this data connection charge into the rest of your energy bill. We need to be transparent about this cost and we recognise that not all of our customers are either eligible or want this feature - a blanket increase in costs may therefore be unfair.